Printing a Program Guide for 2,000 people requires one to think in 4 page segments. That's how it lays out at 4 color printing shop that is getting the final draft of the Learning 2011 Program in a few days.
My designer, Lauren, came into today and said - "Elliott, we got 2 empty pages - what do you want to do with them?" Some interesting choices:
- Should we place another ad for one of our MASIE Center 2012 events? No, that would be too commercial in the middle of the guide!
- I could always write an article on "Learning Affordances" for participants to read? Sure, but easier to just place it online.
- Pictures from Learning 2010? Perhaps, but out of context.
- What about a Puzzle? Hmmmm
So, off we went to find a Word Puzzle Creator online - and a few hours later, we have a very fun and yet pragmatic Crossword Puzzle with 30 clues - based on Learning 2011 content, speakers and programs - and a few fun ones thrown in for good measure.
Placing it in the first 1/4 of the print Guide adds a bit of game design to the Guide Browsing experience - including interaction to find the answers to some of the more obscure clues.
Having decided to place it in the printed Guide, the next decision was about putting it into the Online Version that will be uploaded later this week - and viewed by thousands before they get to Orlando.
Might get everyone involved and create some pre-event buzz. But, it will be way more fun to see folks explore it in person and live in Orlando.
But, just to tease you a bit - here are 2 of the clues:
- A Learning Technology that is More Reality and Less Virtual? (12 letters)
- An American Idol from a Past Learning Conference (9 letters)
You will see the rest, at Learning 2011, in just 35 days!